(Permanent position in Victoria, British Columbia)
Who We Are:
Legal Aid BC (LABC) is the provincial legal aid provider in British Columbia. As a non-profit organization, our goal is to provide legal information, advice, and representation services to people with low incomes in BC. We assist some of BC’s most vulnerable and marginalized citizens: those who do not have the financial, educational, social or health resources to effectively access the justice system when their families, freedom, or safety are at risk.
The Parents Legal Centre (PLC) takes a holistic approach early in the child protection process to help families stay together whenever appropriate. The PLC supports parents to resolve not only their legal matter but also the underlying non-legal issues, such as housing or addictions, which often contribute to protection concerns in the first place. As part of the Indigenous Services Division, the PLCs will have a focus on serving Indigenous people.
As the Staff Lawyer at the Parents Legal Centre (PLC), you will be part of a team consisting of a managing lawyer, staff lawyer(s), paralegal/advocate(s) and administrative legal assistant(s), working to assist parents with child protection matters to reach early collaborative resolutions where appropriate. As part of the Indigenous Services Division of Legal Aid BC (LABC), the PLCs have a focus on serving Indigenous people.
As a PLC Staff Lawyer, you will:
- Provide advice and representation to PLC clients on child protection matters;
- Assess cases for their appropriateness to the PLC and endeavour to resolve appropriate cases prior to the trial scheduling date;
- Be familiar with identifying both the issues that clients face outside the traditional legal context and the resources available to assist clients with these issues;
- Work collaboratively with Director’s counsel, social workers, family support workers, and other participants in the child protection system;
- Attend at collaborative processes, including mediations;
- Attend at case conferences and court appearances;
- Work in collaboration with PLC team, including assisting the Managing Lawyer in the management, supervision and mentorship of staff (paralegal/advocate(s), and administrative legal assistant(s));
- Assist in outreach activities and building relationships with Indigenous communities and other service providers;
- Ensure adherence to policies, procedures and performance metrics, and preparing reports;
- Travel as required to provide services in select satellite locations on Vancouver Island in the Capital Regional District.
A competitive annual salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Four weeks paid vacation to start that grows the longer you are with LABC
- An excellent employee benefits package, where premiums are 100% paid by LABC
- A generous pension plan
- Support for training and development
- An Employee and Family Assistance program
- The opportunity to participate in various Employee programs (Employee Wellness, etc.)
- Generous leave provisions (sick time, special leaves)
- 13 paid statutory holidays
If you are interested in joining us – visit our careers page for the full job posting at https://legalaid.bc.ca/general/currentVacancies and apply now!
We would like to thank all external applicants for their interest but regret that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Legal Aid BC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society. Members of equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.