Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Burnaby
Level 2: $127,821.13 – $165,767.24 annually Level 3: $170,694.72 – $196,017.52 annually
The Coroners Service of British Columbia is responsible for the investigation of all unnatural, unexpected, unexplained or unattended deaths. Coroners respond to reportable deaths across the province in order to determine the identity of the deceased, and how, when, where and by what means death occurred.
The position supports the Executive Director, Legal Services and Inquests and acts as in-house Legal Counsel, responsible for legal advice and representation of BC Coroners Service during inquests. An inquest is a formal administrative inquiry that allows for the public presentation of all evidence relating to a death. Inquests may be held to focus community attention on a death and/or to satisfy the community that the death of one of its members is not overlooked, concealed, or ignored. The position also provides legal advice and training to BC Coroners Service related to the inquest administrative procedures, the Coroners Act, other related federal and provincial statutes, and contracts.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service – Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
Qualifications for this role include:
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of British
- Preference may be given to applicants with demonstrated experience with inquest law in British Columbia within the past 10 years.
- Minimum 6 year call to the
- Legal Counsel Level 2: From 6th to 11th year of
- Legal Counsel Level 3: More than 12 years of
- Demonstrated experience representing the Crown or an agency of the Crown in judicial, quasi- judicial, and administrative Preference may be given to applicants with 1 or more years experience in this area.
- Demonstrated experience analysing and interpreting complex legal
- Demonstrated experience liaising with senior officials within the provincial or other levels of government, the Bench, the Bar or similar stakeholders.
For more information and to apply online by June 2, please go to: