Who We Are
First Peoples Law is committed to defending and advancing Indigenous Peoples’ inherent and constitutional rights. Our objective is to play a meaningful role in Indigenous Peoples’ ongoing struggle for a more respectful and equitable world for themselves and their children.
We seek to provide the highest-quality legal services to our clients through a combination of negotiation and litigation while actively participating in public education initiatives. Our work includes providing representation and strategic advice to First Nations and Indigenous groups across Canada.
What We Offer
Working at First Peoples Law provides a unique opportunity to work closely with senior counsel to provide high-level strategic advice to First Nations on cutting-edge Aboriginal issues and appellate representation on leading Aboriginal law litigation, while also actively participating in public legal education.
Instead of focusing on billable hours, our team works collaboratively to provide clients with effective, results-based legal advice.
Our work routine is not ruled by typical law firm office hours. As long as they are ‘getting the job done’ our team members work where and when they want. This allows us the flexibility to take care of ourselves, our families and our friends while working on the leading edge of Aboriginal law in Canada.
We offer support for practice development and career advancement, fair remuneration, a supportive team and the opportunity to work with recognized leading lawyers and on behalf of committed clients across the country who are at the forefront of developing the law through the defence of their Indigenous rights.
The successful candidate will refine their technical skills while being supported and encouraged to develop their own unique potential for:
- strategic thinking;
- high-level negotiations;
- client development;
- managing numerous complex files;
- media relations;
- professional relationships;
- social media; and
- business management and development.
What We’re Looking For
We are seeking a lawyer who shares our commitment to protecting and advancing the rights of Indigenous Peoples through high-quality legal representation, and is prepared to take part in advocacy and education initiatives that extend beyond the traditional practice of law.
The lawyer will have the following qualifications:
- alignment with our core values of advocacy, integrity and commitment
- confident, unpretentious, organized, responsive, reliable and accountable
- excellent research and writing skills
- excellent oral communication skills
- creative and collaborative approach to problem solving
- interest and ability to participate in business development
- at least one year experience practicing in the field of Aboriginal law
- ability to work well under pressure, both independently and as part of a team
- ability to work remotely
- willingness to travel across the country to visit our clients on their land using a wide variety of transportation methods (prop-plane, truck, hiking, ATV, boat, snowmobile, etc.)
- comfortable working in First Nation communities
- minimum 4 year call
- called to the bar in British Columbia; Ontario call an asset
- a sense of humour
Description of Position
The lawyer will work remotely and out of the First Peoples Law office in Vancouver.
Salary based on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a cover letter, CV and recent writing sample to email@example.com by no later than July 24, 2020.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews carried out on a rolling basis until the position is filled, i.e. if you are interested apply early.