Term/Full-Time with a possibility of becoming regular
Evenings and/or Nights and/or Weekends
Manitoba Justice, Prosecution Service, Crown Law
Advertisement Number: 39002
Salary Range: $3,074.00 – $6,076.95 bi-weekly
Closing Date: September 30, 2021
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Member (in good standing) with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check & Child Abuse Registry Check
- Enhanced Security Screening
- Evening, overnight and weekend work as required
- Ability to travel by road, air & small watercraft, including overnight stays and must have a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s Licence
- Litigation experience in the practice of criminal law including experience reviewing files for bail and disposition
- Superior verbal communication and presentation skills
- Superior written communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills with an understanding of establishing and maintaining effective and professional working relationships
- Excellent analytical skills
- Effective case management and time management skills
- Ability to adapt, learn and grow through challenge, pressure or adversity (resilience)
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and work under pressure to meet workload demands and deadlines
- Ability to work independently including determining reasonable positions, reviewing, meeting and potentially resolving cases
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience and proficiency with computer software packages including legal research applications, MS Word, Excel and Outlook, PRISM or equivalents
- Prosecutions experience
As a Crown Attorney, you will provide prosecutorial service regarding matters arising under the Criminal Code of Canada and provincial statutes, in the provincial and superior courts. Other duties involve giving legal opinions, reviewing police reports and instructing police with respect to charges and investigations. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in community and other legal education in the areas of criminal law and procedures on behalf of Manitoba Prosecution Service.
Duties include conducting an early review of custody files. The hours are anticipated to be from 4 pm-11 pm, 12am-8am and shifts on weekends which may include some regular days to complete the workweek.
Advertisement No. 39002
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB. R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.