LF1-2 Crown Attorney
Manitoba Prosecution Service, Crown Law
Advertisement Number: 35756
Salary(s): LF1-2 $76,220.00 – $133,110.00 per year Plus Remoteness and Retention Allowance, if applicable
Closing Date: December 20, 2019
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves,
where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and
innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated
groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be
given to Indigenous people. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Manitoba Prosecution Service is responsible for prosecuting most offenses in Manitoba. These offenses are identified in the provincial
statutes, the federal Criminal Code of Canada and the Youth Criminal Justice Act. This is a unique opportunity with the province of
Manitoba, with the assistance of Crown Attorneys of varying levels of experience. For more information on living and working in Thompson
please visit http://www.thompson.ca/ . Crown Attorneys in the Manitoba Prosecution Service are members of the Manitoba Association of
Crown Attorneys and the collective agreement can be found at
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Eligible for membership or membership (in good standing) with the Law Society of Manitoba
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check & Child Abuse Registry Check
- Enhanced Security Screening
- Evening and weekend work as required
- Ability to travel by road, air & small watercraft, including overnight stays and must have a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s Licence
- Litigation experience in the practice of criminal law
- Superior verbal communication and presentation skills
- Superior written communication skills
- Ability to adapt, learn and grow through challenge, pressure or adversity (resilience)
- Superior interpersonal skills with an understanding of establishing and maintaining effective and professional working relationships
- Excellent analytical skills
- Effective case management
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prepare for deadlines and workloads
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience and proficiency with computer software packages, MS Word and Outlook or equivalent
- Prosecutions experience
As a Crown Attorney, you will provide prosecutorial service regarding matters arising under the Criminal Code of Canada and provincial
statutes, in the provincial and superior courts. Other duties involve giving legal opinions, reviewing police reports and instructing police with
respect to charges and investigations. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in community and other legal education in
the areas of criminal law and procedure on behalf of Manitoba Prosecution Service.
Advertisement # 35756
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of
your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from
the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information
irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.