Attorney, Legal Aid Manitoba
Manitoba Justice, Legal Aid Manitoba
Advertisement Number: 39508
Salary Range: $80,191.00 – $97,421.00 per year
Closing Date: August 12, 2022
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
Legal Aid Manitoba provides legal help to people who are financially eligible. We strive to serve all clients with respect and dignity. Our service is fundamental to a fair and balanced justice system.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and Adult Abuse Registry Check
- Must be a member in good standing or eligible for membership with the Law Society of Manitoba
- The ability to travel within the province
- Experience litigating in the field of Family Law
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with the public, clients, support staff, government agencies and professionals
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to manage a high volume of cases and work independently and effectively to meet critical deadlines and billing targets established by management
- Ability to maintain accurate and timely electronic recording of case detail and time information
- Ability to use electronic information and document management systems
- Experience litigating in the field of Child Protection Law
- Experience litigating in the field of Criminal Defense Law
The incumbent is required to attend court in Brandon and at circuit points in the Westman district. This position will manage an assigned case load in an efficient and effective manner, keep up-to-date, accurate time and billing records, meet billing targets established by Management, assist other lawyers in their office as a member of the office’s legal team, as well as performing other related duties as assigned.
Advertisement No. 39508
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
Winnipeg, MB. R3C 3L6
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.