JFK Law Corporation is a busy and dynamic specialty law firm founded in 2009 with offices in Victoria and Vancouver. Our firm focuses on delivering high quality legal services in the areas of public, constitutional, and environmental law, primarily for Indigenous nations and organizations. As a firm committed to empowering Indigenous peoples and organizations, Indigenous applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are currently seeking a hardworking and energetic associate specializing in litigation to work in our Vancouver office located in the heart of Yaletown. The primary focus of this role is expected to be litigation related to Aboriginal law, including Aboriginal and Treaty Rights, consultation and accommodation, and issues related to reserve lands and band administration. Experience with regulatory proceedings would be an asset. The firm also takes on other public law litigation, including constitutional, administrative and municipal law matters.
The associate will assist in the conduct of major files and assume carriage of small to mid-size litigation files. Major areas of responsibility include, but are not limited, to:
- Assisting in developing and executing litigation strategy;
- Conducting research;
- Drafting correspondence, pleadings and applications;
- Drafting affidavits;
- Interviewing witnesses and preparing evidence;
- Oral advocacy, including speaking to applications and portions of oral submissions;
- Preparation for discovery;
- Trial preparation, including preparation of questions and statements;
- Attending all levels of the Courts; and
- Assisting with management of files on behalf of our clients.
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience:
- Over 5 years of litigation experience; particular experience with Aboriginal and constitutional law would be an asset
- Strong skills in advocacy and oral and written communication
- Excellent analytical, interpretive, research and drafting skills
- Proven negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Proficiency at building relationships and working well in a team environment
- Client management experience
- Licence to practice law in British Columbia
At JFK, we ensure that all our lawyers have access to ongoing continuing legal education and professional development training along with a competitive salary and bonus program. If you would like to advance your career with a progressive team that is passionate about making an impact, please email a cover letter and a resume through https://jfklaw.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=5
By Date – May 30th 2021
Short-listed candidates will be contacted; others will be kept in our database for future consideration. Thank you for your interest in JFK Law.