IBA Student Day 2008
The 2008 IBA Student Day will take place on Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 in the McBride/Hanlon Room at the Marriott Toronto Yorkville, 90 Bloor Street East. It is open to all Indigenous students who are attending law school or who are completing their articles.
Please be advised that non-Indigenous students are welcome to attend the IBA Conference. Non-Indigenous students will be permitted to attend the conference at a registration rate of $125.00 + Gst.
Some features of IBA Student Day include:
- Open Forum discussion of Issues specific to Indigenous Law Students
- Election of the new Student Representatives on the IBA Board of Directors
- Appointment of a Representative from each Canadian Law School responsible for maintaining communication with the two elected Student Representatives on the IBA Board of Directors
- Development of an anecdotal report card on Canadian law schools from an Indigenous student perspective
- Perspectives on Indigenous legal careers outside the firm environment
A detailed agenda is available on the IBA website and is continuously updated in advance of Student Day.
Students requiring financial assistance to attend the conference must approach their law schools, bands or other organizations for potential funding.
Students attending the conference must be members of the Indigenous Bar Association in order to receive a reduced rate for conference registration of $60 + Gst. The fee for annual student membership is also $50 + Gst. (A Gst exemption is available to those with proof of tax exemption). Students may obtain their membership on-line: http://www.indigenousbar.ca/memberships/join_us_f.html
If you wish to participate in the selection of the new Student Representative of the IBA Board of Directors, you may do so in person on Student Day or by sending a Proxy who will vote on your behalf. For more information on how to vote by proxy, please contact Tania or Drew.
Rooms are available at the Toronto Marriott Yorkville in downtown Toronto at a rate of $169.00 per night plus tax. The deadline for reserving rooms is September 22, 2008. The rooms are reserved under Indigenous Bar Association. If you require more information about finding reservations for the conference, please contact Tania or Drew.